Life History of
David Asbury GARDNER
(13-Jul-1850 to 14-Jan-1922)
- Born on 13-Jul-1850 to David GARDNER and Martha Anne THOMASON. He was born in either Pemiscott County, Missouri or Gibson County, Tennessee although according to some sources, his father settled in Gibson County, Tennessee, from Indiana in the 1840's and served in the Confederate Army. David Asbury was the 5th of 10 children, 5 boys and 5 girls. According to Patsy Ellis, his two older brothers died as young men in 1867 due to "Milk Sick" or drinking unpastuerized milk. That would have left David Asbury as the oldest boy surviving to adulthood (see David GARDNER Family Group Record).
- David Asbury married Julia Ann Payne on 16-Feb-1870 in Dyersburg, Tenn. They had nine children, 6 boys and 3 girls although the lack of information for the oldest boy and girl indicate that they might have died as infants. (see David A. GARDNER Family Group Record)
- Julia Ann died on 9-Nov-1896 at age 45. David Asbury married Mollie Christine MCNAUGHTON and they had one son, Cecil, in 1900.
- This letterhead, provided by Patsy Ellis attests to his profession as a carpenter at the age of 45:
- David Asbury was also an officer of the local International Order of Odd Fellows:
- David Asbury died on 14-Jan-1922. According to Patsy Ellis he "Died January 14, 1922 at 2:00 Saturday afternoon. He fell dead on the sidewalk in front of the Baker-Watkins Store. He is buried at Fairview Cemetery, Dyersburg, Tennessee."
- GED File created from Family Tree Maker for Windows ver. 5 by Patsy Ellis dated 12-Aug-1999.
- Personal correspondence with Patsy Ellis, 1999.
View the D. A.Gardner Photo Album
Return to D. A. GARDNER Family Group Record
Return to Generational Chart
Return to Gardner-Aguilar Family Web