Life History of
Horace Underwood LITTLE
(24-Dec-1872 to 12-Jul-1947)
- Born on 24-Dec-1872 to Horace Frederick LITTLE and Meribah UNDERWOOD in Buffalo, New York. The 1880 Buffalo, NY, census, 9th Ward, District 3, shows the family of Horace F. LITTLE, age 35, born in NY of parents born in MA, wife Meribale, age 34, born in NY of parents born in NY; children: Carrie R., age 9, Horace U., age 7, Emily C., age 3. Also Jane W. LITTLE, mother, age 68, widowed, born MA of parents born in VT and MA. ( see Horace F. LITTLE Family Record )
- Records (Certificate of Marriage, Brooklyn, NY, #2301) show that Horace, age 23, married a Nancy Leona STRAIT, age 18, on 16 May 1896 and lived in Englewood, NJ where Horace worked as a clerk. They had two children, Marian, b. 1897 and Atwood (or Douglas) b. 1898.. See below about the American Littles.
- Horace joined the Army around 1898 and served in the Spanish-American War in Cuba and then rejoined to fight in the Philippine War (Insurrection). The 1900 (10 November) census for the 19th Infantry, Philippine Islands, lists Horace U. Little, private, address in US: P.O. Box 89, Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, b. December 1872, in NY of parents born in NY, age 27, single. The 1910 census for Philippines, Ludlow Barracks, 21st US Infantry, 18 June, p. 6B, Mindanao, Little, H. U. male, white 39 single, NY, clerk, 2M Checker. In 1920: Military Naval Forces, Philippine Islands, Camp Eldridge, ED #23, 26 March 1920, p. 177A, Little, Horace U., resident of NY, 290 Broadway, NY, male white 49 married, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. NY, soldier/clerk, consular service. According to his son, Winthrop, he was stationed at Zamboanga (Petit Barracks), Corregidor Island, Fort McKinley, Camp John Hay, and retired at Fort Stotsenburg in 1935 as Master Sergeant.
- Married Rosario DE LOS SANTOS abt. 8-Jun-1914. They had 6 children, two boys and 4 girls. (see H. U. LITTLE Family Record )
- Horace died in Manila on 12-Jul-1947.
- Genealogy researcher, Janet Seitz, provided the census and other information that connected Horace U. Little to a long line of Littles from Massachusetts. The genealogy of George Little was published by a George T. Little around 1882 in Auburn, Maine. Two publications are currently available from (Higginson Books):
- G.T. Little, "Genealogy of the Little Family: Descendants of George Little, Who Came to Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1640", Higginson Book Co., May 1993, 82pp, ISBN: 0832833657.
- G.T. Little, "Descendants of George Little Who Came to Newbury, Mass., in 1640", Higginson Book Co., January 1989, 638pp, ISBN: 0832807737.
- The George Little Family Association
- Little Family Homesteads in Newbury, MA at Historic New England
- Janet Seitz also introduced me to a descendant of Horace Little, his grandson by his daughter Marian, Sen. Clement V. (Little) Tillion II. Originally from New York, he is a long-time resident of Alaska where he works in commercial fishing and public service. He and his family reside near Homer, AK.
- Florence L. Gardner and Winthrop Little.
- E-mail correspondence with researcher, Janet Seitz of Alaska.
- Clement Tillion
View the H. U. LITTLE Photo Album
Return to H. U. LITTLE Family Group Record
Return to Generational Chart
Return to Gardner-Aguilar Family Web